Getting a Driver's Licence
If you hold a valid drivers licence from your country, you can drive any class of motor vehicle authorised on that licence in Queensland. You’ll need to have your passport and the licence with you when driving. If your licence is in a language other than English you should carry an official English translation.
If you do not have a driver’s licence and will be in Australia for more than 6 months you can apply to obtain a licence, including a learner licence.
Make sure you check out “Your Keys to Driving in Qld” for road rules. You’ll then need to go to a Queensland Transport Customer Service Centre with:
- your passport & foreign driver licence, if held, which must be in English
- proof of your place of residence
You may also be asked to do the following:
- pass an eyesight test
- pass a written test on the road rules
- arrange a practical driving test appointment and
- take a practical driving test after paying the test fee.
General Enquiries 3834 2011
Drivers Licensing 13 2380